TO: Rail Transportation Stakeholders
FROM: Senator Bruce E. Tarr, Representative Ann Margaret Ferrante, Representative Brad Hill, Mayor Sefatia Romeo Theken
RE: Commuter Rail Suspension Update
DATE: May 16, 2017
Thank you for participating in our public forum in Gloucester regarding the impending suspension of MBTA rail service in our region. We appreciate your support for reasonable and practical options to be made available to mitigate the negative impact of these suspensions. Here are some brief updates:
- The DVD recording of our public meeting in Gloucester has been delivered by hand to officials at the MBTA. Thanks again to Cape Ann TV for producing it, particularly on short notice.
- A subsequent public forum was conducted in Beverly, hosted by Mayor Cahill, and attended by Senator Lovely, Representatives Walsh and Speliotis, an Aide to Representative Parisella, and Barry Pett from Senator Tarr’s office.
- Our petitioning efforts have garnered over 100 signatures on the evening of the Gloucester forum and over 1200 signatures on the online petition created by Mayor Romeo-Theken’s Office.
- The Cape Ann Transit Authority has offered in writing to assist the MBTA with alternative transportation. A copy of that letter is attached for your review.
- The MBTA has advised us that a transportation mitigation plan is in development, and will be released soon. The MBTA plans to have public forums in early June to explain their mitigation plans and to explain how they will communicate those plans to the commuting public.
- Our offices have continued to field questions from riders and other stakeholders, and to identify issues that need to be addressed.
- We are currently working with the MBTA to schedule a public meeting for the presentation of its mitigation plan as referenced in item 5 above. We will provide you with the time, place, and location of that meeting as soon as possible.
Once again, thank you for joining with us to secure meaningful transportation alternatives to address the proposed suspensions of rail service. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of further assistance.